Friday, April 23, 2010

Chocolate Pancakes and Brown Sugar Bacon

IMG_4892

Before church last Sunday, I made this for breakfast!  It was delicious, and even though it seems like a sugary breakfast, it did not leave us with that sugary feeling.  I think the bacon and the fruit must have helped out!

I did not have bittersweet chocolate on hand for the pancakes, so I actually just melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips.  The recipe still turned out well!  The recipe does not tell you about the fruit.  I saw it on the video, which is entertaining to watch.  I did alter mine a little bit from his mixture.   I mixed strawberries, bananas, a splash of orange juice, a bit of honey, and a bit of sugar and let it sit while I made the pancakes.

I got the idea for the bacon from Trader Joe’s.  Their recipe calls for a package of their bacon and 3/4 cup of brown sugar.  I used turkey bacon and think I will half the brown sugar next time.  Hubby and I agreed that it was just a bit much sugar, but it was still good!  :-) 

Enjoy!

Brown Sugar Bacon

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a baking sheet and arrange bacon slices flat, leaving space between each slice. Sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake the bacon for 30 – 40 minutes until crisp.

 

Chocolate Pancakes

Ingredients

Serves: 6

    • 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
    • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into chunks, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 large egg yolks
    • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
    • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions

Melt the chocolate and the 8 tablespoons butter in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat.

Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a large bowl until well mixed. Whisk in the melted chocolate and butter. Sift the flour over the top and fold it in.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter over low heat in a large nonstick sauté pan. Drop a heaping tablespoon of batter into the pan and cook for 2 minutes, then turn and cook on the other side. Transfer the pancake to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter to the pan as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment