Monday, April 19, 2010

The Little Things

A couple days ago my son and his friends were getting ready to play with Peppy, the pet hamster my son received for Christmas.  My son lifted up Peppy’s house and said, “He’s not there”.  I said, “What do you mean, he’s not there?”  Sure enough – Peppy was not there!  Fear and worry engulfed me.  I imagined Peppy stuck somewhere in our house where we wouldn’t find him or roasting away in our furnace or something.  The furious search began, and I began to pray!   “God, please show us where Peppy is.  Please help us”.

We began to scour through the house, hoping to find the little critter soon.  After several minutes of searching basically the entire house, my husband sat down on the couch to rest for a minute.  He motioned for me to sit next to him.  Brian shut off the dryer and when he sat down again, a thought ran through my mind.  I asked Brian, “Do you think we should search the couch (the one we were sitting on)?”  I was thinking perhaps Peppy was hiding out in the cushions of the couch.  Right after I asked Brian that question, we heard scratching noises inside the couch!  Brian and I quickly looked at each other in amazement!  Peppy was inside!  Brian tilted up the couch on its side, tore off the “liner” underneath, and began to pull away the padding from the coil as much as he could to peek inside the bottom corner.  Sure enough – there was Peppy! 

IMG_4882

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brian lured him out with a piece of lettuce, and our hearts were relieved.  I couldn’t help but think about the prayers I prayed during the search.  I sensed God tugging at my heart once again, showing me that He cares about the little things in our lives. 

Luke 12:7

…the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh... escaping rodents. We had multiple gerbils when I was young and they chewed through their plastic cage a number of times. At one point they found their way into a storage closet and chewed holes through all the LL Bean sleeping bags. After that, there was no mercy and my dad went on an all-out gerbil hunt in the basement. But they just... kept... having... babies... and escaping... Augh! :)

    ReplyDelete