Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saltine Toffee

IMG_4788

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Recently I got the recipe for Saltine Toffee from Sunday Baker.  It is a simple and delicious treat to make!  A few days ago, I saved half of the batch for our family, which we (eh hem) consumed within about 12 hours or so of making it, and gave the other half of the batch to a friend for her birthday.  

IMG_4796

I visited my dad today and wanted to take him a treat (since he is recovering from surgery) so I made ANOTHER batch this morning.  I packaged a good portion just for him, gave another portion to the rest of  his household, and saved the remaining portion  for our home.

This really is very tasty and very easy to make.  Try it!

If you want to see some great photos of the procedure, check out Sunday Baker’s post on it.

Saltine Toffee
1 sleeve salted Saltine crackers
1-1/2 sticks real butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Foil line a large cookie sheet/jelly roll pan and grease well. Lay out the crackers. One sleeve fits perfectly:

In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter. Melt and bring to a soft boil over medium heat, whisking, for about 2 minutes. Pour the caramel mixture over the crackers and spread evenly with the back of a spoon:

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7 minutes. The mixture will bubble and soak into the crackers. Remove and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the entire pan of crackers. Stick back in the oven for 1-2 minutes to further melt chips. Remove and spread even over the crackers:

Let it cool on the counter for about 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate for an hour to harden the chocolate. Remove. Pull up the foil and start breaking up the toffee into bite-sized pieces. So delicious!

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this before and have always wanted to try it since I love toffee! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I absolutely love this stuff. Once I ate an ENTIRE batch - MYSELF - in a single weekend. I was just thinking about posting the recipe on my blog... but now I will just link to yours! Something else that's really good is sprinkling a few butterscotch chips over the chocolate to make a butterscotch swirl. It's pretty and the flavor combination is great. This stuff is ADDICTIVE. It's a different flavor than regular toffee but I almost like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa,
    The saltine toffee was scrumptuos!!
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete