Thursday, September 2, 2010

Making History!

Yes, that’s right folks… I made history last week when I FINALLY decided what I was going to use for History this year in our homeschool… well, at least what I am going to start using for now to see how things go.  Much ado has gone into making this decision!  After all, there is so much to choose from…  Should I continue the chronological approach?  Do I want to use a textbook or “living books” or both?  Which curriculum seems most appealing?  Etc…

DRUM ROLL PLEASE…

IMG_6235

We will use this book, The Story of the Romans, by Helene Adeline Guerber (written originally in the late 1800s) as our “spine book” for my son’s 5th grade history.  A spine book is basically a book that ties everything together and enables you to expand as much as you want.  For more on that, see here.  My son will narrate to me, either orally or written, what he learns through the stories he hears from me.  In addition, we will try to get books from the library (or buy some) that enable him to study certain topics and people further. 

Last year we studied Creation to the Greeks, mainly, through The Mystery of History.  There were plusses and minuses to the program.  I felt overall that we needed something that was more cohesive.  My brain (and my son’s brain) didn’t work so well studying an Israel prophet one day, someone from Greece the next, and a little Roman history the next.  I am excited about our studies this year on the Romans!

For my younger two who are in 1st and 2nd grade, I am planning to give an overview of American History with this book from Christian Liberty Press.  I am also hoping to teach all of the children the National Anthem, the Pledge of Allegiance, and other important national/historical details that come to mind.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great plan, Lisa! I bet you are glad to have that decision made! I hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete