Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Kindness Meter

You may remember the reward system I started recently in my home.  The first round went well, but I think my children may have caught a case of the winter blues or something!  They have not been as motivated to earn their poms.  Well, this mother has gotten “Pom Happy” this week, during the Christmas season!  I told the kids that I am going to start handing out poms more often.  My son even made this sign that is currently hanging from our chandelier:

IMG_7096

To motivate the children even more, I have started a kindness meter on our whiteboard.  I have noticed a lot of unkindness between them and wanted to spur them on to goodness!  Once their meter is full, they earn three poms to put in their jars. 

IMG_7095

I’m looking forward to reaping

some goodness in my home!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I was just thinking today that I need to do something about our reward system. We use a punch card right now but I can't give out punches for every good thing they do because they'd fill up the punch card too fast! I think I am going to do the poms like you are. I think my kids need to get more positive reinforcement and this way I can praise them with a pom every time I see them doing something good or kind. I might do it as a group thing (as opposed to individual) so there's not as much competition and it will help them encourage one another to do right so they can get more poms in the jar. We will see. Thanks for the ideas and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I LOVE the "poms away" sign! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been using your pom idea!!! I give poms for manners such as "yes mamm" "yes sir" "my pleasure" ect.. also acts of kindness, sharing, prayers, chores and they have been earning trips to the dollar store and now a shake!

    ReplyDelete