Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rest

IMG_7064

In my last post about resolutions, I mentioned picking a purposeful word to focus on for the new year.  Originally, the word that came to mind was JOY.  I long for more JOY in my life and desire to work towards that goal.  However, as I have thought about it more, I realize there is a word that is, perhaps, more meaningful for my life right now – REST!

You may remember that I said I need to focus on getting more sleep.  Truly, I am worn out most days and not just physically.  I am physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually worn out.  I need rejuvenation and restoration.  That comes through good, solid REST!  I don’t just speak about sleep, either.  Sleep is part of rest, but good rest is so much more.

Rest comes when we are able to surrender to our God and the circumstances in our lives, when we are able to accept what our lives contain.

Rest comes when we are have contentment in our hearts and can feel thankful, even during hardship.

Rest comes when our minds, hearts, and homes are free of clutter.

Rest comes when our minds are filled with good thoughts rather than downward spirals.

Rest comes when we are at peace with our neighbor.

Rest comes when our souls are quieted within ourselves, when we are able to respond to situations with stillness and not let our mouths speak unwisely.

My daughter and I randomly opened up to Psalm 131 and read it together today.  Having a nursing infant, this psalm definitely hits home, as I know how wiggly my daughter can be in my lap when she is focused on nursing.  She is not quieted within herself.  She is focused on her needs and impatient.  May we be like a weaned child who can sit in the Father’s lap and Rest as we walk through each day of our lives.

Psalm 131:1-2

Lord, my heart is not haughty,

Nor my eyes lofty.

Neither do I concern myself with great matters,

Nor with things too profound for me.

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,

Like a weaned child with his mother;

Like a weaned child is my soul within me.

 

I wish you much Rest in the New Year!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, great post, Lisa! This is one thing that should be on everyone's "resolutions" list. How different our lives could be if we just took time to just rest. What are some ways you are going to implement this in your life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great reminder! True rest comes when we are focused on God and His will for us,fully surendered to Him and the circumstances he lovingly places in our life. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that you are able to rest, Lisa.
    God will provide opportunities for you, recognize them, and take advantage of them :)

    ReplyDelete