Thursday, February 3, 2011

Feeling Down? Look Around.

IMG_6921

Last night when I was putting my seven month old to bed, I stood there for a few minutes, swaying with her.  I started to look about my daughters’ room and feel so thankful for what was around me…. furniture, clothing, sheets, curtains, a cozy and WARM bed… All of it reminded me of God’s great goodness and what I DO have in life.  It’s awful easy to think about what we are lacking, what we’re missing out on, what we do not have, what we are waiting for… but how many times do we stop and FOCUS on what we DO have?

Even now, as you read this, look about your house.

 

Think about all of the material possessions

you DO have right now.

Think about your comforts:

heat, electricity, transportation… 

Think about the people who are in your life right now,

even those who are causing you trouble,

and how you are not alone.

Think about God’s goodness in your life:

His salvation, deliverance, healing power,

grace, mercy, and love.

 

Think... and then, be thankful.  Thank God for what he has given you.  Thank Him for your life.  Thank Him for your loved ones.  Thank Him for your earthly possessions and privileges. 

Thankfulness is the sweet balm that carries us through hard times.  It reminds us of what we do have and how good our lives really are, even if they seem tremendously difficult.  Thankfulness reminds us that the thorns of life are merely a small part of a large bouquet of roses.  Praise be to God!

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful perspective! It's easy to be caught up in a "I want/need" mode and be blind to what the Lord has given us. I know I am thankful for great friends, like you. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how put this: {Thankfulness reminds us that the thorns of life are merely a small part of a large bouquet of roses.}

    Great post. A much needed reminder. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thorn/roses analogy, too, Lisa! It's all about perspective, about what we set our minds on. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes ma'am! :) The thorns in the bouquet - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh YES!! Great reminder, beautiful words you shared, thank you!!!

    This is how I felt on Monday when my truck decided to blow a spark plug, I looked around and God placed me somewhere safe and a wonderful hubby to my rescue! Also the blessing of no wheels for a few days was extra attention to my home! Blessed with a warm home and lots to do because I have a family! PRAISE GOD! :) :)

    {Sarah beth}
    http://hislovingpresence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete