Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine’s Day Recap.

How was your Valentine’s Day?  Did it live up to all of the Hallmark expectations?  How about your own?  Hopefully you didn’t expect grandiose things and feel let down.  I am learning the lesson of not expecting too much out of situations, and just life in general.  Expectations can cause a real let-down feeling.  Instead, it can be such a blessing if we are able to go into situations and appreciate the good that does come to us.

With that said, today was a bit of a crazy day, especially since my husband basically had the worst computer blowup he has had in his entire career thus far.  He had a handful of major outages going on, and being the manager he is now, was shouldering much – on less than three hours of sleep.  I would like to say this type of thing is atypical in our home, but, alas, it has become somewhat normal.  It is not easy.  God is definitely taking us through a season of refining and has been for a few years now.  As Brian said today, “It would just be nice to have a breather for a while”.  He’s right!  God is in control, though, and we are trying to live each day as best as we can.

Therefore, that is what I did today!  I tried to live the best I could.  I tried to make the most of my Valentine’s Day, even though I saw my husband very little.  I feel extremely grateful for the opportunity we did have tonight to go for a drive together and pick up a hot chocolate and a Frappe.  He needed a break and wanted to spend some time with me, and that was greatly appreciated.

Enough said… what did we do for Valentine’s Day??

Well, the celebration started yesterday when we donned our red apparel – well, at least the girls and I did – and I did my daughter’s hair in this neat heart pattern.  There was a heart on each side of her head, and of course, the flower just made it sweet.  ~smile~

IMG_7862

Today…

We had treats laying on the kitchen table for the kids.  They were excited to see them when they woke up!

For breakfast, we enjoyed

Chocolate Waffles with Berry Sauce.

(I plan to post this recipe separately).

IMG_7872

I cut Brian’s napkin into the shape of a heart and made a note.

In the afternoon I let the kids watch a movie and made Chocolate Popcorn with Sea Salt.

IMG_7878

Valentine’s Day can’t be Valentine’s Day without a decent amount of chocolate – well, at least in my house.  ~smile~

At night, as I already mentioned, I shared a lovely drive with my hubby – an extremely nice way to end the day.  Red heart

What did you do with your day?

3 comments:

  1. Your breakfast looks heavenly.. mmm!

    I am sorry to hear about your hubbys day.. I am sure all the little things you do for him means alot, esp on a rough day!

    My hubby worked late.. but the kids and I made chocolate covered strawberries. When he got home we made dinner together, which was the highlight of my day! He brought me home flowers and the sweetest card. Even though dinner wasnt until 8, later then our 5:30 dinner time..but it was a cozy evening! The most perfect thing about vday is showing eachother love, taking that extra step to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you made it a lovely day! Ours was quiet and we ate a special dinner at home. I loved it. I figure that our anniversary is to highlight our love for each other, but Valentine's Day is for cherishing all the people that love us! So with that in mind it was a wonderful day. I love ALL the things you did for the kids! Special food ALWAYS equals a special day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry your husband had such a hard day! :( I know it must be a blessing to have a wonderful and understanding wife by his side, supporting him.

    I love the way you did your daughters hair. Oh my goodness, so cute. Never seen that before.

    Thanks for sharing, so glad to hear you two got to have a quiet moment together at the end of the day, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete