Sunday, April 3, 2011

Trusting God in Dark Times

IMG_8229

Life has been a struggle lately.  I have felt very empty, very lonely, very disappointed, and very discouraged at times.  God is doing a deep work in me.  When God does a deep work, it is not easy.  Surgery hurts.  It brings healing, hope, and better character, but it hurts!

Recently I was thinking about how I have been putting my trust in people, hoping that people or other tangible things could rescue me from my despair… hoping that my SOS would be seen and heard and (voila!) life would be easy.  Sometimes, though, it is God’s will for us be in a valley so we can turn to Him and Him alone.  I was reassured of this truth when I took Streams in the Desert by L. B. Cowman off my bookshelf at a fitting time and read the following from the March 30 entry (Isaiah 50:11 was the introduction):

…It means that when we are in darkness, the temptation is to find our own way without trusting in the Lord and relying upon Him.  Instead of allowing Him to help us, we try to help ourselves.  We seek the light of the natural way and the advice of our friends.  We reason out our own conclusions and thereby may be tempted to accept a path of deliverance that would not be God at all.

…Beloved, never try to get out of a dark place except in God’s timing and in His way.  A time of trouble and darkness is meant to teach you lessons you desperately need.  Premature deliverance may circumvent God’s work of grace in your life.  Commit the entire situation to Him, and be willing to abide in darkness, knowing He is present.

I looked up the passage – Isaiah 50:11 and read the context.  Isaiah 50:10 jumped out at me and ministered to me all the more.

Who among you fears the Lord?

Who obeys the voice of His Servant?

Who walks in darkness and has no light?

Let him trust in the name of the Lord,

and rely upon his God.

This verse clearly reiterates the concept that Christians (yes, Christians) will walk through times of darkness and have no light.  What are we to do during those times? Trust in the Lord and rely upon Him! 

God is drawing me in my time of darkness, in my valley.  I know He wants to show Himself to me in a more glorious way. 

Psalm 23:4

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;

For You are with me!

Remember friends… God is with you!

1 comment: