Tuesday, June 28, 2011

To Garage Sale or Not to Garage Sale

IMG_8977-1

Last week we organized and participated in our subdivision’s garage sale.  I have had a couple garage sales in the past that went quite well, and I was looking forward to doing some purging.  Actually, throughout the year, we keep a “stash” of things in our storage room that we want to sell if we plan to have a garage sale rather than scurrying through the house at garage sale time to find treasures.  I had just returned from vacation the weekend before our sale, so I was not really in the mood to get everything prepared.  Nonetheless, I went about my business to organize a decent sale. 

The first day of our sale, I did quite well, and made $93.  The second day, however, I made a mere $2.50.  I have never heard of anyone making that little in a day!  I think God still has something he wants to tell me about that $2.50.  I’m just not sure what yet.  When I woke up that two dollar morning, I sensed a bad day.  The clouds were extremely gray and showers were in sight.  The previous day’s weather was similar, but there was something dreary about this morning.  As we plunged into the day, it was quite discouraging to get little traffic and little action.  I am thankful my dad was here to man the sale and relax with his Sudoku book in the garage.  Otherwise, it may have seemed to be a complete waste of the day!

Fortunately I made a decent profit the third day and also rid ourselves of a futon, making a big step towards remodeling our family room.  That felt good.  Nonetheless, I had more hope for this garage sale – that I would be able to sell more and make more money.  I was bummed that there were not more children at my sale, which is what I really needed.  I don’t know if it was the weather or the time of year or something else.  Another neighbor said that this was the worst garage sale she has ever had also, so I realize there were bigger factors involved, possibly even the trending ways of our culture.  It seems that more people are using Craigslist and secondhand stores and don’t really have the time to go garage saling. 

What is your experience with garage sales?

Are you making money?  To what do you credit it?

Do you like to go garage saling?

It would be easy to give up on hosting garage sales, but I admit – there is a bit of character to them.  I know that I do appreciate visiting them from time to time so I may make someone else’s “trash” my very own “treasure”.  There is something more unique and personal to the garage sale experience than a deal on Craigslist or at the goodwill store.  Don’t you think?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your sale didn't go as well as you'd hoped! It is hard when you put all that work into it and you feel it wasn't worth your time. I am sure the weather had something to do with it. Plus, as a general rule, I don't do as well on Fridays either. Thursday and Saturdays are usually best. We did very well at our sale but it was earlier in the season (kids were still in school) and we had great weather the whole time. We also have alot of families with kids in our area so that helped. I do think that not as many people are garage saleing for whatever reason though. It is crazy to me since even Craigslist is more expensive (usually). I've found so many great deals at garage sales this year that I can't understand why more people don't do it! Anyway, I hope you at least feel better that you got rid of some things and made a few extra bucks (save it up for when YOU go garage saleing! LOL!). (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a LOT of work to put on a garage sale, particularly if you have to haul everything outside, like we do. (Our garage is unattached from the house and full of garage tools and what-not so we have to carry everything outside the morning of the sale.) I keep oscillating on whether we should have one this year or just give all the stuff to the church for the church sale. I'm sure we'll do the latter, if we can get the stuff together in time.

    We have never had a garage sale on any day other than a Saturday so I have no experience with Fridays or Thursdays. I have gone to garage sales on Fridays personally but none this year so far. Our experience in having the sales has been good overall -- but we haven't done one for a few years now so the climate could have changed. Key for us has always been good signs -- I like the fluorescent poster board for signs since it shows up well. It's always best, too, when there are other sales in the neighborhood. Unless I happen on a sale that looks good as I'm driving somewhere, I rarely would go to any but subdivision sales, with the exception of an ad that lists what I'm looking for specifically. We always made at least $100, and that's saying something because we've always had smaller ticket items and low prices. But again, that was a few years ago. Whether it is worth it today is hard to say.

    Subdivision sales here seem always to be well attended, although our disappointment in going to them is that often not a lot of the homes are having sales so you have to drive around more than used to be the case.

    Toys and kids' items and clothing usually go extremely well, too, so it's sad that more people in the market for those things didn't show up at your sale! That's how I often feel about things we have for sale though....if the right people would just show up, you know the stuff would go!

    We used to go garage saling a lot in years past. There's been too much to do lately to go though and not a lot we need, unless I'm looking for kids' things (which I often am) or some other specific item. Our dog especially liked going with us. She was a shrewd shopper, too. Twice she found tennis balls and talked the owners into letting her have them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love goodwill & craigslist but I still treasure going to garage sales. I think you can find a better deal and bargin a bit more!

    Its too bad you didnt have the all great days but I think over $90 seems great!

    I have never had a garage sale but been saving things in bins to have one before summer is over..

    ~love the picture!

    ReplyDelete