Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cake Extravaganza - "Better Than a Hug" Cake

IMG_6972-1
I’ve had this in my mind for a long time now, and it just needs to get out!

Have you ever wanted some good, homemade cake recipes to add to your repertoire? I thought so! I’ve got some tried-and-true cakes that you can make for birthdays and other special occasions. Over the next week, I’m going to share various types of cakes with you: chocolate varieties, confetti, banana, and even an easy ice cream sandwich cake!

Today is my mother’s 60th birthday (Happy Birthday, MOM!), so I have decided to start today! The extravaganza will end on another important day, July 28 – my son’s 10th birthday!

Grab a cup of tea, your recipe book, and maybe a friend!

Today I am going to share a recipe I have made a couple times, including today for my mother’s birthday. It is decadently delicious! If you like moist, rich, flavorful, dreamy chocolate cakes, you will want to try this one!

IMG_8617
"Better Than a Hug" Cake

1 recipe of Hershey’s Deep Dark Chocolate Cake, made in 9x13 pan
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
~1 cup of caramel syrup
~1 cup of chocolate syrup
6 Heath bars (toffee bars), crushed
Homemade Whipped Cream: 2 cups of heavy whipping cream, whipped with 1/2 cup of sugar.


Make the chocolate cake. Once fully baked, let stand for about five minutes. Then poke small holes throughout with a fork or toothpick. Pour sweetened condensed milk over top and even out with a spreader. Drizzle 3/4 cup each of chocolate and caramel syrups over the top and add 3/4 of the crushed toffee. Allow cake to cool for a while so whipped cream doesn’t melt when you put it on. Spread whipped cream over the top and drizzle again with remaining chocolate and caramel syrups and sprinkle with remaining crushed Heath. (You could do this last step just before you are ready to serve or eat the cake).

For a simpler, less homemade version check out the original recipe at “Comfy in the Kitchen”.

1 comment:

  1. I am very excited! cake is my favorite. this one looks delish..cant wait to see what is next!

    ReplyDelete