Friday, November 11, 2011

Cooking with My Daughter

This week my daughter helped me make a couple of our dinners.  Sometimes we plan for it and sometimes she jumps right in – spur of the moment.  I am thankful that she likes to cook, for it is one of my passions. 

IMG_0226

We made French Onion Soup for the first time, and that was delicious!  I admit that I have never really been a big fan of french onion soup, but I find when I make things at home it will usually cause me to like something better.  When you know what is going into the food and can control the taste, it helps.  ~smile~

This recipe was delightful, and I would recommend it to anyone!

I gave my daughter a taste beforehand so she could recommend what we needed to tweak – a little more salt and pepper is usually the answer. 

IMG_0216

We also made a homemade tomato sauce, off the cuff, for dinner last night to go with our spaghetti.  We sauteed some green pepper, onion, and mushroom with basil, parsley, garlic salt, and garlic pepper (I am currently out of REAL garlic).  We added some diced tomatoes and tomato paste along with salt and pepper to taste and simmered the sauce for about a half hour.  (If anyone wants the actual proportions leave a comment, and I will post a more accurate recipe).

The results were splendid!  My family really liked the sauce and my daughter was THRILLED that we made it ourselves, without a recipe.  She wanted to keep it a secret until everyone started eating so she could make the grand announcement!

IMG_0244

Have you cooked something this week with your children?

I’d love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! The soup and spaghetti sauce look so yummy!! I'm sure you had so much fun together!

    When the princesses were with us this summer, Princess A was all about helping me with whatever I was doing and she especially loved helping me in the kitchen! Two-stage granola, muffins, and quiche were some of the things she helped me make.

    Oh, and I have to ask....did you do your nails while you were cooking the soup? ;-)

    ReplyDelete