Sunday, April 22, 2012

Good Ol’ American Food–Burgers and Fries!

Just a reminder:  Tomorrow starts Homeschool Week here.  I’ll be covering various topics about you, your curriculum, and your children.  I hope you will join me!  If you have a blog geared towards homeschooling, grab a button on my sidebar and share the news!


Sometimes I get a hankering for a good burger and some fries.  When you make them at home, you feel better about it – as with most things.  You can choose the ingredients and make the dishes according to your preferences.

With grill season around the corner, I thought I would share the recipes I used recently to whip up some yummy American fare for my family one night.

P3280016

Mel’s Kitchen Café’s “Perfect Grilled Burgers” are just about that – perfect.  Add a little bit of seasoned salt, A-1 sauce, pepper, and water to create a delicious burger that grills nicely and tastes good!

P3280019

When I ran across this recipe for Skinny Texas Cheese Fries, I knew I had to try them!  I did not have all of the delectable ingredients she uses, like bacon, green onions, and jalapenos nor did I make the buttermilk ranch dressing that I will have to try!  Nonetheless, this simpler version still went over quite well in our home!

Cheese Fries
printable version

  • 8 medium potatoes yukon gold or russet, washed and dried (skin on)
  • 2 1/2 T olive oil
  • 1 T paprika
  • 1 tsp chili powder (I use 1/2 t because my chili powder is spicy)
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Bacon Bits

Preheat the oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up and lightly coat with cooking spray.  I used a half sheet baking pan.

Cut each potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch thin slices; then cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries.

In a large bowl, combine cut potatoes and oil; toss well. Add seasoning and toss to coat.

Place potatoes in a single layer on your lightly-greased baking sheet.

Bake
uncovered for about 25 minutes or until tender crisp, turning once half way through.

Remove from oven.  Top with cheddar cheese and Bacon Bits and put in oven for a couple more minutes until the cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a delicious meal! I bet your family loved it! I can't wait for your homeschool series this week! In fact, I gave you a little shout-out on my blog. (; Miss you...

    ReplyDelete