Monday, April 2, 2012

Serving Our Families, as “Bondservants”

IMG_9843-001

It’s nearly 5 a.m., and I am wide awake.  Yes, I have had a splitting headache since before I went to bed hours ago.  However, it is not my own needs that has me up at this crazy hour of the day.  It is a need in my family, an illness to be exact.  My son has been tossing and turning (and me, likewise) since just after 3 a.m.  I finally realized I would need to move downstairs and nurse him better there.  Precious hours of sleep are slipping away from my hands.

I am reminded of Jesus.

Jesus did not come to earth because of His own needs.

He did not serve the human race because He was pompous and showy.

No, instead, He “humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.” (Philippians 2:8)

“Jesus Christ who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,  … made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant.” (Philippians 2:6-7)

Merriam Webster defines bondservant well – “one bound to service without wages”.

In our homes, we will oftentimes take the form of a bondservant.

We will be called to do many things without wages –
loving sacrificially without expecting in return.

We will be encouraged to make no reputation for ourselves.

We will be challenged to serve our family members and their needs, putting aside our own needs, wishes, and desires continually.

Oh, may we be like Jesus,
Who was humble, obedient, and faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment