Friday, May 18, 2012

Embracing the Present: Not Worrying about the Future

As moms, oftentimes we are worried about the future.  I’m not even talking about the distant future, like what our children will be like when they grow up or what the economy will be like in five years. 

Oftentimes our worry comes out like this:

“We’ve got soccer three times every week this month, a piano recital next week, birthday celebrations scheduled for the next few weeks, grocery shopping for tomorrow, church preparations tonight, spring cleaning… I just don’t know how I am going to handle all of this”.

I started the year with much worry.  When the New Year began, I was completely (and I mean completely!) overwhelmed.  I filled in my calendar for the New Year and felt like I had already lived the entire year due to all of the events I had just written down!  With seven people in our house, close-knit families, and a busy church life, we stay very busy.

As the New Year began, however, God continued the work He has been doing in my heart – a work of trust … a work of rest. 

Even in the midst of busy lives, our hearts can be at rest.

That is the key to peace.  That is the key to embracing the present and living life to its fullest.

Rather than seeing our full calendar as a burden,
we must view it as a blessing,
taking one day (or one event!) at a time.

I am a homebody, and when I have things scheduled outside of the house, sometimes it will start to concern me.  When I am able to renew my mind, though, and think of the activities as good things, I can free myself to look forward to the events on our calendar.

Truly, God wants us to be busy in life.  He wants us to be active, productive, and social.  Obviously, there are times when we need to slow down and evaluate our lives, but in general, we are supposed to be busy – not overwhelmed… just busy!

If we can remember to count our blessings each day
about the opportunities in our lives,
then we can truly embrace the present
and live lives of joy and peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment