Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Lesson in Matthew 6–the Finale to My Table and Chairs Saga

Almost a year ago, I explained my Peculiar Situation to you.  In a nutshell, I had a mismatched table and chairs set for which I desperately needed more chairs for our family.  I found some chairs … had to return them … and was back to square one.  For more exciting details, be sure to read my post from last year.

It is always good to finish what you start, so I thought I should let you know how that story ended.  Yes, it finally ended.

A couple months ago, we found a BEAUTIFUL table and chairs set on Craigslist:  an elegant cherry-colored wood table with eight chairs, some still wrapped in plastic, two leaves, and a table pad!  We got the set for a wonderful deal, and I was absolutely thrilled!

Table and chairs

It took a long time to find a set that would suit us well that didn’t cost us our limbs.  God is good.  We must be patient.

Once I had my new set, I knew it was time to say goodbye to my other table and chairs.  That wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be.  Even though it wasn’t working well for my family, the truth is that I really did like the items.  They, too, were lovely to me.

We sold the table and chairs separately on Craigslist since they did not go very well together, and we only had four chairs. First we sold the chairs…

The lady who bought my chairs was very kind and warm.  She loved the chairs, and I felt good selling them to her.  She didn’t ask me to go down in price, and she was excited to become the owner of my precious chairs.

The table was another story…

We put it on Craigslist for one week… two weeks… three weeks… just about a month.  During that month, we docked our price $125 from the time we began.  We were anxious to get rid of the table, especially since it was taking up a lot of space wherever it was.

A couple came to look at it last weekend.  They looked at my cherished table and nitpicked quite a bit, saying they would have to do a lot of work to it… it was definitely a big job… etc.  They did not want my table or so I thought.

They called the next morning and had a “change of heart”.  They also wanted us to come down in price, another $75.  Gulp!  My husband was away on a golf trip, and I texted him.  “Jump on it!” was basically his answer.  Their offer was the lowest he would go, but he wanted the table gone… now!

Long story short, the couple did get the table, but I dealt with a lot of emotions.  I felt upset that they were so picky about my table and got a steal of a deal in the mean time. 

Through it all, though, God spoke softly to me. 

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth”.  Matthew 6:19

I knew I had to stop dwelling upon my beloved table so much and move forward.  I had to surrender the situation and trust God for everything, even the lack of extra money I was hoping to get out of the situation.

I was reminded of God’s gentle work again yesterday as I saw the following verse on the back of a minivan in front of me:

“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also”.  Matthew 6:21

Yes, God wants to be my treasure.
He wants my heart fully.

I must let go of earthly treasures and be lost in Him.

Are you holding onto something besides God
and His purpose for your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment