Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lemony Chicken and Rice Soup

P3110059

Over the weekend I made my typical homemade chicken soup.  With everyone still battling sickness, I wanted to make some more soup.  I know how good lemon, garlic, and chicken broth are for you when you are sick!

I scoured the internet, looking for a chicken and rice soup with lemon in it.  I couldn’t find anything that was “just right”, so I created my own recipe.  This one is fairly quick since you use prepared chicken broth.

Lemony Chicken and Rice Soup
printable version

1/2 of whole chicken, cooked and shredded (~1.5-2 cups of chicken)
1/2 cup of uncooked brown rice
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
8 cups (2 cartons) of chicken broth
1 T dried parsley
1 lemon, juiced

First, cook the rice most of the way.  Put 1/2 cup of brown rice in a pot with 1 cup of water.  Bring to a boil and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.  (Usually brown rice takes 45-50 minutes, so you are just cooking it partially).  NOTE:  If you like a meatier soup, you may want to add more rice, just be sure to use double its amount of water to cook it.

Sauté onion, carrot, and garlic in 2 T butter for 5-8 minutes til onion is soft. 

Add chicken broth, parsley, chicken, and rice to the saute mixture.  Simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat.  Add lemon juice. 

Stir, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment