Tuesday, August 5, 2014

How My Husband and I, Both, Lost 10 Pounds in Less Than a Month

Tips for Weight Loss - The Cozy Nook

Well, my husband and I took the plunge. After returning from vacation, both of us a little heavier than when we left for vacation, we decided to get serious about losing weight. I knew my husband really wanted to lose weight, and I felt I should join him.

Little did I know that I would see and feel the results so quickly. It has been a huge blessing for both of us.

What was the secret to our success?

Good ol’ diet and exercise!

First of all, I have to say that our Fitbit scale, pictured above, was a great motivator. Through our accounts, we could watch our weight’s progress. It was so encouraging to see the graph decreasing.

On the diet front, think protein and produce (fruits and veggies).

A friend of mine (who has a lot of knowledge in the medical and nutrition fields and is a doctor of pharmacy) was a great guide when we started our weight loss. She told us to focus mainly on eating protein and vegetables the first week. This empties the sugar and carb storage and helps detox the body.

After the first week, my friend recommended that we start incorporating whole grains back into our diet, staying away from wheat as much as possible – brown rice, quinoa, oat-focused breads…

We have had days when we have eaten out or had dessert. We try to keep our portions more minimal and also compensate for the “treats” the rest of the day, eating lighter – feasting on fruit smoothies and protein or produce snacks.

Also, I set a rule for myself – not to eat anything after 9 p.m. and drink only water.

Weight Loss Meals - The Cozy Nook

Above are some of the foods we have eaten.

From top left, clockwise:

  • Fried eggs with pepperoni, garnished with tomatoes.
  • A hearty salad with roasted chicken
  • Healthy taco salad with quinoa, no chips
  • Black Bean/Quinoa Burgers

In addition to diet, we have tried to make exercise a regular part of our lives.

My husband has been doing Tae Kwon Do, mainly, but has also done some jump-roping and trampoline jumping.

I have added short workouts, 15 minutes or less, at least a few times a week. I will do another post with more details about that.

Losing weight has definitely taken some discipline.

As my husband says, “Get used to feeling hungry”. That is true sometimes.

However, the reward is great. We look better, feel better, and trust we are gaining better health too!

Best wishes on your
own weight loss goals!

4 comments:

  1. That's great, Lisa! Good for you and your hubby! Your post was very inspiring. I want to get back to eating healthier. I've fallen off the wagon a bit. (: Do you have a recipe for the Black Bean Quinoa burgers? Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Leslie! I wish you well as you try to start eating healthier again. It does seem hard, but once you get going, it feels so worth it!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the weight loss! It is not an easy thing. My husband and I have started really making a better effort to clean up our eating. I'm about to start back on the exercise part. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete