Wednesday, October 15, 2014

31 Days to Becoming Less Stressed, More Refreshed. Day 15: Say Good Things

Say Good Things - The Cozy Nook 

“I’m stressed.”  Do you ever find yourself saying that?

Years ago a friend of mine caught me saying that often.

“Lisa, do you realize what you are saying? Do you realize how often you say, ‘I’m stressed’?”

It hit me. Ouch. Truth. I did say it a lot, and how did I expect those words to help me? Maybe I hoped people would see that I was feeling stressed and have compassion on me. Maybe I thought it would feel good just to say those words and get it out of my system.

Whatever the case, saying, “I’m stressed” doesn’t really help much.

Words have power,
and what we say becomes truth.

I’m fat.
I’m ugly.
I’m weak.
I’m sick.
I’m bad at that.

All of these words confirm in our hearts what we really think about ourselves and our situations.

The Bible says that our words
have the power of life and death in them.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.

Proverbs 18:21

There is a famous saying:

Watch your thoughts, they become words;
watch your words, they become actions;
watch your actions, they become habits;
watch your habits, they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Our words are a large part of what we will do
and who we will become.

Yesterday I wrote about thinking good things. Obviously that starts the chain reaction. If we aren’t thinking we are stressed, we probably aren’t going to say it. An important step, therefore, is to keep our minds cleansed.

However, if we are struggling with our thoughts, we can try to catch them from manifesting themselves by preventing destructive words from coming out of our mouths.

May we strive towards speaking words of life,
words that will cause our stress to dissipate
!

Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.
Ephesians 4:29

Take Action: Be conscious of the words you are saying today and make a strategic effort to say good things.

31 Days Less Stressed, More Refreshed 100

No comments:

Post a Comment