Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Banana Split Dessert

Banana Split Dessert - The Cozy Nook

Every time I make this dessert I get raving reviews. Even this time when my dad asked me if I had made it and I said, “yes”, he had to ask my mom to double-check.

It’s so good and looks professional with all of its beautiful layers – graham cracker crust, sweetened and fluffed cream cheese, bananas, chocolate syrup, pineapple, whipped cream, pecans, and cherries. It’s decked out!

The original called for Cool Whip, but I always like to make homemade whipped cream. I am a bit of a purist in that way.

Banana Split Dessert
Printable Version

1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 pkgs (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
3 ripe bananas, sliced
~1/3 cup chocolate syrup (I don’t usually measure. I just drizzle.)
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice; drained
2 cups homemade whipped cream (or 1 16 oz. container Cool Whip, thawed)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 jar (6 oz.) maraschino cherries, drained and halved

In a 9 x 13 pan, stir together graham cracker crumbs, butter, and 3 T of the sugar. Press firmly into the bottom of the pan.

In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese with the remaining sugar on medium speed until smooth. Spread evenly over the graham cracker layer. (This can be a bit tricky and take a little patience).

Spread banana slices on top of cream cheese layer.

Drizzle with 2 T chocolate syrup.

Spoon drained pineapple over bananas.

Spread whipped cream on top. (To make homemade whipped cream, whip 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream with 1 T of sugar until peaks are formed. Since there is a lot of sugar in other places in this recipe, I like the whipped cream to be less sweet).

Top with pecans and cherries.

Drizzle with remaining chocolate syrup.

Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment